Tangy lemon and 25 of its health benefits
1. Lemon, being a citrus fruit, fights against infection. It helps in production of WBC’s and antibodies in blood which attacks the invading microorganism and prevent infection.
- 2. It is an antioxidant which deactivates the free radicals preventing many dangerous diseases like stroke, cardiovascular diseases and cancers.
3. Lemon lowers blood pressure and increases the levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
4. Lemon is found to be anti-carcinogenic which lower the rates of colon, prostate, and breast cancer. They prevent faulty metabolism in the cell, which can predispose a cell to becoming carcinogenic. Also blocks the formation of nitrosamines in the gut.
5. Lemon juice is said to give a glow to the skin. I agree on this.
6. A few drops of lemon juice in hot water is believed to clear the digestive system and purify liver as well. See above. If you have a healthy liver, it will show on your skin.
7. The skin of lemon dried under the sun and then ground to make powder can be applied to the hair for a few minutes before bath which relieves head ache and cools the body. Noted.
8. Applying lemon juice to acne dries the existing ones and prevents from getting more.
9. Lemon juice acts as a natural hair lightner and skin bleach which reduces the pigment melanin and prevents the risk of chemical allergic reactions which is common with hair dyes and bleaches.
10. Lemon juice is given to relieve gingivitis, stomatitis, and inflammation of the tongue.
11. Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. Old wives’ tale.
12. Lemon juice is given to prevent or treat urinary tract infection and gonorrhoea.
13. Lemon juice is applied to the sites of bites and stings of certain insects to relieve its poison and pain.
14. Lemon juice relieves colic pain and gastric problems. Hmm…I have gastric and lemon juice would be the last on my list.
15. Lemon juice soothes the dry skin when applied with little glygerine.
16. Lemon juice used for marinating seafood or meat kills bacteria and other organisms present in them, thereby prevents many gastro-intestinal tract infections. We all know this. Right Chef Nash?
17. Lemon juice with a pinch of salt (warm) every morning lowers cholesterol levels and bring down your weight. Nice! Will start tomorrow morning.
18. Lemon juice is the best drink to prevent dehydration and shock in case of diarrhoea.
19. Lemon juice can also be used as a mouthwash. It removes plaque, whitens the teeth and strengthens the enamel. And cheaper too!
20. A table spoon on thick lemon syrup everyday relieves asthma.
21. Lemon juice relieves chilblains (huh?) and itchy skin.
22. Gargling lemon juice relieves throat infection and also used as a treatment for diptheria.
23. Lemon juice is an excellent treatment for dandruff and greasy hair.
24. Lemon applies over the face removes wrinkles and keeps you young. Forever young…I want to be forever young…suddenly Alphaville plays in the background.
25. Lemon juice helps to prevent and cure osteoarthritis.
Lemon is not usually allergic or toxic to many, so why don’t you try its natural benefits first and then go on to medical treatment.