25th national day – number crunch
Here are some numbers that I gathered from the local media on this year’s National Day celebration:
Personnel at the National Stadium:
- 25 selected leaders from various organizations and communities read the National Day oath led by Dr Mohd Munir Faridz bin Haji Metassan.
- Nearly 25,000 participated in the celebration at the National Stadium. This is about 6 percent of the country’s population.
- 2,500 alone welcomed His Majesty where 2,000 were flag-bearers and 500 hadrah players lined the route leading to the National stadium.
- 108 teams took part in the march past totaling some 18,554 people.
- 1,400 people from the march past joined another 3,500 people comprising mostly of students for the field performances.
- 54 local singers including the choir singers from the 1984 gathering sang this year’s theme ‘Kedewasaan Bernegara’.
- The theme song was created by Major (Rtd) Haji Manaf Haji Kamis and lyrics by Ibnu Abdir Raheem Brunei. The song reminisces on the country’s first National Day celebration back in 1984.
- 187 police personnel assigned to traffic duties during the national day.
- 12,000 seating tickets distributed for members of the public to watch the gathering at the National Stadium.
- 5,000 ‘non-woven’ bags distributed to guests at the National Stadium. The bags were sponsored by TAIB.
- A total of 30,000 mini flags distributed to vehicles for this year’s celebration.
- 24,500 mini flags were distributed in the Brunei Muara district.
- 3,000 for the Belait district.
- 1,500 went to the Tutong District.
- 1,000 for the Temburong district.
- More than 200 pieces distributed to the water transportation sector, the first time ever during any national day celebrations.
Longest satay (to start at 13:00 hrs Brunei time today):
- 75,000 skewers of chicken satay will be grilled later today, an attempt to make it to the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest satay grilled.
- The satay line is to be measured at 250 meter. The previous world record was 140 meter held by Singapore says the Brunei Times.
- 1,200 kilogrammes of chicken meat to be used for the satay.
- Each satay grill will measure five meter long.
- 25,000 skewers will be used in each grilling which takes about fifteen minutes between each grilling.
- More than 200 students have voluntered to take part in this event.
- Zaliya Apindi Abu Bakar, the Executive Sous Chef of Tarindak Restaurant will lead the attempt. Zaliya was also responsible for setting the longest pizza in Brunei at last year’s national day celebration at the Rizqun International Hotel.