Wakaf or endowment from His Majesty
During His Majesty The Sultan of Brunei’s recent visit to the Philippines, news was that His Majesty has funded a mosque, said to be the biggest in the Philippines. Here are the details I got from here and there:
- The biggest Mulsim place of worship in the Philippines
- Cost – $48 million
- To be named as the Masjid Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah (Muslim center of worship)
- Place – CotaBatu City (just like Kota Batu or City of Stones in Brunei)
- Exact location – seaside village of Inawan
- To showcase the 25-year of relationship between Brunei and the Philippines (am sure this is diplomatic relation as the history between the two countries goes back centuries ago)
- Built on a five-hectare site of land, the mosque’s area will occupy 1.7 hectares of the land. The rest of the property will go to the construction of madrasah (Islamic schools), library, sport facilities and others.
- The land is donated by Rep. Didagen Dilangalen of the Dilangalen family. The congressman said he was allotting a portion of the family estate to a housing project for retired local journalists (Nice!). A condition of the award of the home lots is that they would not be sold to a third party.
- The mosque will be visible to those arriving by sea from the Moro Gulf to the east and to those arriving by air by way of the Awang Airport to the south.
- According to Cotabato City Mayor Muslimin Sema, this part of the city has been earmarked for the development of a seaport and an industrial zone.
- To be completed in October this year (to coincide with Hari Raya or the Muslim festival?)
According to Palafox, the mosque’s architect, the design incorporates elements of Filipino, Asian and Islamic traditions. The designers also took into consideration such requirements of Muslim worship as the structures needing to be oriented toward Mecca, the Muslims’ holiest city in Saudi Arabia, and provisions for an indoor and outdoor prayer hall.
Alhamdullilah. Semoga rezeki Kebawah Duli Tuan Patik bertambah-tambah. Amin.
Now, my sister just emailed me saying that she has also posted another wakaf or endowment in the form of mosque from His Majesty. This time the location is in Danau Tok Ubin in Pasir Mas, Kelantan, Malaysia and was named as Masjid Brunei Darussalam.
The mosque, according to her was built in 1992 (where was I?) “It was officially opened by the Sultan of Kelantan and Brunei Darussalam masjid was built in 1992 along with a religious college (the masjid is within a Quran learning college yard) in the name of the late Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin,” she posted.
Here are two pictures from her blog, » §āMmăM «. Nice sis. More from her blog here.
Weeks ago, His Majesty also called Bruneians to donate a part of their salaries to fund a project to build a mosque. I agree, as long as one is sincere. I hope those who dont work with the Brunei Government, like yours truly, will be able to donate in this project.